Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Much-Needed (Spring) Break

My day at work yesterday was bittersweet at best. The school district where I work spent Thursday and Friday issuing notices to teachers who were being let go as part of a county-wide Reduction In Force (RIF). All day, most of the younger teachers sat around, waiting on the phone to ring with an invitation to the office and a letter of notification. Painfully, I watched people I have truly enjoyed working with make that walk to the office and return with the papers.

Fortunately, I did not have to endure that process yesterday. However, I don't find myself at ease in the aftermath, either. I'm continuing to struggle with this idea that people can do everything they can in a given situation and it won't be enough. We can be hopeful that the budget won't be as bad, or that the jobs may open again, but the bottom line is that people in my school are paying the price for poor leadership way above the district level.

I have to admit, I'm thankful that Friday started our Spring Break, and I'm off to New York on field trip with students Monday through Friday of this week. It's a much-needed break from the day to day at work and I've never been further north than Washington, DC, so needless to say I'm excited. I'm hoping to clear my mind and just enjoy the sites and sounds of The City.

This weekend I am hosting a shower for my brother and his fiancee. There will be photos soon! This break is going to be good for me :)


No comments: