Thursday, March 10, 2011

SOLSC Day 10: In the stillness

I rarely stay home from work, primarily because a) I (generally) like my job and b) it's almost more difficult to stay out of work than go in to work. But I'm not feeling up to it today (mostly mentally) so I'm giving myself a break. For my sanity. For my students' sanity. For everyone's benefit. See how generous I am?

Anyway, so far today I have slept late, gone back through my box of new books (yipee!) and am now on the couch in the quiet of my house with my dog curled up on the opposite end of the couch from where I am wrapped in a blanket.

And the quiet. I love listening the sounds of my home when there's no true noise. All I can hear is the hum of the refrigerator, the sound of the rain, the occasional car that passes by and the click of the heater when it starts. I am reveling in the idea of having this "me" time to collect my thoughts, read and be still. In some ways, this is odd for me because I don't generally like to be still or quiet. I go go go most of the time between school and work and doing things with friends and family. But sometimes, it feels good to just sit. And think. And write. I'm nobody's poet, but this came to mind this morning:

In the stillness I am renewed
Quiet lures me, brings me in
to a place that is only mine
Noise is silenced; there is only
comfort
calm
peace
Energy meets me; we begin again

Happy and hopefully Refreshing Day 10,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your poem is refreshingly beautiful. I took the afternoon off after a meeting just to write and read. I adore quiet and in a household of 6, I don't get much of that. Thank you for your poem. I'm noting it in my notebook. :)MaryHelen

Donna Smith said...

Very pleasing poem. It is nice to savor a quiet, peaceful day.

Stephanie McCabe said...

Good for you in taking the day off...It's better to listen to yourself and stay out rather than keep going. I think it causes burn-out or spin-out or throw-up...can't remember which one!!! ;)