Thursday, March 25, 2010

must...make...this...work

My struggle with writing everyday continues :(

But, I'm getting closer I think. I have a lot going on outside of this "try to write everyday" business, but I usually embrace a challenge, so I'm going for it.

Tomorrow at my school is going to be CHAOS. We had a big fundraiser and the students met their goal, so my administrators are dressing like (drumroll please.....)

Cheerleaders (and ps all three of them are male)

We'll see how that pans out. Good thing I put in for personal leave tomorrow afternoon; I can only imagine what kind of madness will develop as the day goes on. Though I must admit, I will be attempting to take as many photos as possible before I leave.

I had a really great experience with 2 of my students this morning where I was able to direct each of them to a book I thought they would like. It was so much fun to talk to them about what they like to read and then make a recommendation. I can't wait to see what they think about the suggestions I made. How great will it be to talk about common books with my students that they read of their own volition?

I remember in those moments why I wanted to teach English in the first place. I guess sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own paperwork and grades and meetings and deadlines that we forget (temporarily) the magic of literature and language that is available. Sometimes, I think school can squash all the education out of a building. But we'll get there, if we continue to push both ourselves and our students. I think this struggle is worth the effort!


1 comment:

Makia said...

Must. see. pictures. :)