Sunday, March 18, 2012

SOLSC: Rainy Sunday Morning

I woke up earlier than I normally would on a weekend morning today. The sky was grey, the kind of grey that whispers you back to sleep. The sound of rain on my roof, but thankfully no longer in my attic, eased me into the haze where dreams and reality merge. I turned the pillow over to the cooler side, feeling the chill against my cheek, reminding me that there is plenty of day left to enjoy.

I looked over at my husband, who was still sleeping and thought about how easy it was to enjoy this simple moment, watching his chest rise and fall. I know we all say that people are so peaceful when they sleep, but my husband is usually a warrior all night: wrestling and snoring and kicking. Not now. Now he is sleeping quietly, completely unaware that I am watching him, contemplating how this little life of ours turned out to be pretty close to perfect.

In this moment I am not making a list of all the things I have to do before the work week begins tomorrow. I am not thinking about the pile of laundry in the hallway or the dishes in the sink. Yes, the yard needs to be mowed and the grocery list needs to be made and there are a myriad of household chores to be completed. But under a grey sky, the gentle sound of rain echoes the stillness in my mind, encouraging me to slow down, breathe in this beautiful moment and embrace it.


2 comments:

Lori said...

I love a slow Sunday. I'm glad you took the time to enjoy it.

CMacWW said...

I loved "the kind of grey that whispers you back to sleep." I know that grey!