Sunday, September 19, 2010

Busy, busy weekend!

Friday:
Whew!!
I am so glad that Homecoming week is over at West. I feel like I have run around all week without a chance to slow down, not even one! We had lots of fun at school during the tractor parade and talent show, after school at the Homecoming parade and at the football game, but it's definitely a good thing that we only have this kind of madness once each year! The football team won, my husband and I got to actually sit and enjoy both the game and the band, and we even had some friends along for the fun. Congratulations are in order to a member of my yearbook staff for being crowned Homecoming Queen :)

Saturday:
First thing Saturday morning my husband dropped me off in downtown Lincolnton for the county's annual Apple Festival. On my agenda for the day: hearing David's marching band play (check!), hearing the West band play (no check), having frozen lemonade (check!), paying to dunk my principal at the dunking booth (check!), apple pies of course (check!).

We planned on capping the night off with the Gardner-Webb v. Western Carolina game;
we definitely did not make it there. Friday night I was SO exhausted and then I ran around all day Saturday and my mom finally called an intervention.
She said to me after I reported that I think I'm coming down with a cold or something similar, that "you're burning your candle at both ends; you need to rest". Right, I can sleep when I'm dead. But when I met up with David (my husband gets to skip these band things) later on, we both laughed at the idea of trying to rush over to the game after all this madness for the last couple of days. His school had their biggest football game of the season so far on Friday night, then they had to load the truck and get everything ready for their festival booth and the band performance; needless to say he was getting no more sleep than I was this week.

So all of us ended up at my mom's eating barbecue and having drinks and an overall good time. We watched the real Tigers beat up on Clemson (go Auburn!), and laughed and enjoyed ourselves. It was a really nice way to wind down after an absolutely exhausting couple of days.

On weekends like this, where I end up surrounded by the people I love most, is when I realize just how much good fortune I have. Yes, my job sometimes stresses me out: kids can be mean and adults can be worse. No, I don't know what the future holds for our family. But what I do know is that when everything feels like it's falling apart, one evening with my loved ones puts everything back into perspective.

I don't think I'll be slowing down anytime soon, but I do know that my life is full in the best way possible :D


No comments: